Expedition cost: £2100 (Deposit of £500 payable on booking to reserve your place)
We will combine a deep jungle trek in primary rainforest with learning how to survive on a tropical island and even some scuba/snorkelling thrown in for good measure!
We will RV on the beautiful archipelago islands of Langkawi, set off the west coast of Malaysia/Thailand. An area famed for its natural beauty, incredible jungle and simply stunning coastlines.
Day 1 we will meet at our accommodation for a brief on what is to come, look over everyone’s equipment and prepare for our jungle phase.
The next morning we will be heading by road to the north west of the island, an untouched wilderness comprising of epic mountains and dense coastal jungle.
We will follow the contours of this incredible and formidable landscape, using the valleys and river systems, mountain ridges and summits to navigate around the coast. The 4-day trek will be incredible, testing your expedition skills, the durability of your equipment and your teamwork. There has never been a commercial expedition in this area of jungle, aside from the handful of Orang Asli that may have travelled here for hunting and gathering you will be some of the first to enter this untamed wilderness. During the jungle phase we will instruct you in jungle survival and expedition skills as well as key medical and rescue skills to give you a good base of knowledge for your own adventures in the future.
The last day of this trek is a true test of your mental and physical strength, we will summit the mighty Gunung Machinchang, it may sound small at 704M however this is a tough ascent over difficult terrain in high temperatures and humidity. The views however are so very worth it and it wouldn’t be a Maddog Adventures trip without us sneaking in a mountain somewhere would it?
Once we reach our exfil site we will be collected again via vehicle, travelling around the coastline back to a shower, good meal and even a well-earned drink or two!
The next day you will take a day’s R&R that you won’t forget, taking a dive boat to a diving nature reserve where you can enjoy a few reef/wreck dives (Try dives for those who have not dived before).
The next day having enjoyed our rest we will start our next phase, transiting by small private boat, we will head due west to our small secluded island beach looking at the blank horizon of the Andaman sea. The next few days will be at a more relaxed pace than the jungle and will be something truly special.
We will perfect your desert island living skills, fishing, foraging and craft skills.
Spending your days exploring the beautiful reef off the beach, fishing from beach or Spear fishing for your food and even some free diving to forage the seabed.
By night we will relax on the beach, under the stars with a BBQ enjoying our own spot of paradise around the fire.
As you can see, we have a definitive split in this trip, a challenging yet rewarding start, finishing with a relaxing break on a desert island allowing you to completely chill out, enabling you to return home feeling that you have accomplished something, learnt new skills, made new friends with a newfound confidence in your own abilities but without feeling broken!
The remote island phase is fully catered by our team in terms of staples, supplemented by your fishing and foraging. There is also an optional survival phase at the end of the island trip, we will maroon your solo and leave you with your parang and first aid kit (and a sat phone). The rest is up to you!
Dates – 3rd-14th October 2022
We advise you arrive on or before the 3rd October 2022 as we aim to be in the jungle on the 4th October to maximise our time under canopy.
Flights usually transit via Kuala Lumpur or Singapore.
Langkawi is an externally friendly and cheap destination meaning you can extend your stay for a minimum cost allowing you to acclimatise prior and decompress from your trip afterwards.
What is provided by MADDOG ADVENTURES;
• Wilderness Guiding
• Vehicle and Boat Transfers for expedition phases
• For the Jungle phase, food will be provided by Maddog Adventures in the form of daily ration packs. During the Island segment, Maddog Adventures will provide the staples in addition to fresh fish caught fishing and what we gather foraging the sea bed. If you have any dietary requirements/allergies (sea food etc), we will discuss on booking.
• Accommodation, as laid out in Itinerary
• Diving Day
• Pre deployment Expedition and jungle skills weekend (covering navigation, camp set up, campcraft, parang use, kit and equipment, wilderness medical skills etc) in the UK as well as a separate exped briefing day where we can all meet, get to know each other a bit , look at kit lists and equipment learn about and discuss the trip as well as meet your MDA guides.
• Private Passes and permits
What is not provided by Us;
• All Flights
• Personal Insurance
• Equipment as per the Kit List (we can advise on kit and have discount codes for some suppliers)
• Airport Transfer (around £3)
• Accommodation outside of those provided (approx. £10 PP Per Night based on 2 sharing)
• Alcoholic beverages
• Any costs incurred for late arrival/departure
What you need to do before you go;
• Place your deposit, this can be done using the Paypal link at the top of this page or by a BACS transfer. Deposit will be £500 per person and final payment of £1600 to be made no later than 12 weeks prior to the expedition.
• You will need to book your Flights, arriving into Langkawi airport no later than 0930 on the 3rd October 2022 and departing no earlier than 1900 on the 14th October 2022.
• You will need to acquire the items off the kit list; the great thing about jungle travel is you need to work on a lightweight system so there are not too many things that you should need to obtain.
• You will need to Visit your GP and Dentist to ensure you are fully fit and vaccinated for Malaysia; they will be able to advise you on all needed vaccines, a process often overlooked however a basic health check can give you time to remedy any ailments prior to departure.
• Some wilderness knowledge is needed for this trip. A good base level of fitness is also required, we advise you to partake in some physical training and body conditioning prior to the trip, you will be expected to carry your own equipment, food and water for the trip, typically this is around 15-18kg over distances of around 4-6 miles on some days, the jungle is not flat, it has gruelling steep ridges and the terrain is relentlessly slippy and uneven.
• It is a good idea to get out in your hammock system, perfect your set up and make sure you are comfortable with your kit before heading out. We include a UK based pre exped skills weekend to help you dial in your kit, learn key campcraft and personal expedition skills prior to heading out and MDA staff are always available to help via phone call, email or social media.
• Fill out and return the NOK form, Personal information sheet and Medical questionnaire.
• Finally, let us have your thoughts… What do you want from the expedition? What are your goals? We can help you to achieve them!